Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Fear of flying


Everybody is afraid of something. Surveys show that the average persons biggest fear is public speaking, death comes in second. Most people would rather die than speak in public. It really says a lot for the person delivering the eulogy at most funerals.
~
I am scared of frogs. I am also scared of toads. Honestly I am not really sure what the difference between the two is nor do I care. I don't know when or why I became so scared of frogs/toads, but it is an all consuming fear. When I am anywhere that I feel may be populated by the offending amphibian, I keep my eyes on the ground scanning the area ahead of my path to make sure that no frogs are in the way. If I do see one, I get very nervous and have to flee the area very quickly. Some people find this amusing and want to pick one up and use it to taunt. As great of a sense of humor as I have, I do not find this to be amusing in the least. Frankly it is down right mean.
~
This fear keeps me from doing stuff like camping (who am I kidding-frogs or no frogs-you will not find me camping), frog gigging, and lots of other outdoor type activities.
~
I even found a name for my fear(s)
Fear of toads: BUFONOPHOBIA
Fear of frogs: RANIDAPHOBIA (not to be confused with RECTOPHOBIA-the fear of rectum or rectal disease, a fear which I bet most Americans have)
~
So, if you are with me and see a frog or toad you could:
A. Kill it immediately
B. Pick it up and get it way far away
C. Act like you did not see it and make sure I don't either
~

I shared my fear-what's yours?


9 comments:

Amanda M said...

Sarah

I so remember your fear of frogs. Did we not go on a canoe trip once with Ed Hannaman? or did we not go b/c of your fear? Anyway...I am TERRIFIED of spiders. It doesn't matter how big or small I do NOT like them.

Sarah D said...

Amanda we did go canoeing on the river.

Me and Ed. You and Randy Hart.

I was drunk a lot then and Ed is so Army anal that I was only allowed to sit in the boat with my hands at my side.

If I recall, it was a pretty good time. Ed sang a lot.

Christina said...

Frogs are icky... I promise to never chase you with a frog!

A huge fear of mine: white milk. Really, white food in general - but mostly milk. I won't touch it.

Aubrey said...

I am scared to death of falling backwards. Don't think forwards is a problem, but I cannot even sit in a rocking chair/recliner that goes back too far because of this. Weird, huh?

Nancy said...

I don't like spiders, but my biggest fear would have to be snakes and mice

Jamee said...

I have a fear of having my face coverd up, or someone holding me down. I also get really nervous in tight spaces. I believe this is clostraphobia.

amberlindemann said...

Heights, definetly heights.

Soarin' at Epcot brought me to tears

-a

Rebekah said...

I have a fear of dying without my hair\makeup done. if so, please make sure my casket is closed.

Anonymous said...

I am with Jamee.

I'm not necessarily claustrophobic, b/c I don't freak out in the tanning bed or tight spaces...but having my face covered up FREAKS ME OUT!

Here I am...nervous just thinking about it!