Monday, May 26, 2008

What else CAN'T I have??

As if the list of things you are not supposed to do/eat during pregnancy was not long enough, while reading a Mom-to-be magazine I learned that deli meat was a no-no. It can cause listeriosis.

What is Listeria?
Listeria monocytogenes is a type of bacteria that is found in water and soil. Vegetables can become contaminated from the soil, and animals can also be carriers. Listeria has been found in uncooked meats, uncooked vegetables, unpasteurized milk, foods from unpasteurized milk and processed foods. Listeria is killed by pasteurization and cooking. There is a chance that contamination may occur in ready-to-eat foods such as hot dogs and deli meats because contamination may occur after cooking and before packaging.


Besides not eating any luncheon meat, the article went so far as to suggest not eating any non-hot Subway type sandwiches. Devastation for the woman who is craving a Billy Club (and still plans to eat her fill of them) from Jimmy John's.

4 comments:

Amanda M said...

In the words of my mother...."I did that and look how you turned out!" Now I guess that could go a few ways, but I think if you want a Billy Club, then eat a billy club. Savor every minute of it!

hncfarley said...

Well, recently coming off of a pregnancy myself, I feel your pain. I like to think that Jimmy Johns uses the best deli-type meat available to man, that is how I justified it. And this wasn't a NO NO when I had Cole and Ross so I think it is ok. But may I suggest the Hunter's club???

Jamee said...

Okay, drop the advice and eat your Billy Club. I ate sushi the entire time I was prego with Hayden. I decided giving it up was a greater stress then eating it. Plus, I just heard on the news this morning that now eating fish is good while you are prego, studies are showing it helps with brain development. So, there you go.

Sarah D said...

Great, now I am going to feel bad because I don't like to eat fish in the first place! Now I will try to choke it down to help this baby become even more of a genius!