Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Welcome to the jungle

Friday after Jack and I returned home from school, I looked across the street and saw something in the neighbors yard. I walked over to get a closer look....it was two baby raccoons!! They were so cute. Jack was not scared of them at all and got as close to them as I would let him get.

While Jack and I were observing the wildlife Cliff came home from work. He came to see what we were looking at, walked back to his car and magically pulled out some elbow length, leather "falconer" type gloves (where they came from & why he has them is beyond me). He asked me if I wanted to keep them and I informed him that I had seen enough Little House on the Prairie to know it would only end badly so he said he would load them up and take them to the country and let them go.

Cliff got a box and I got some bread and hot dogs for the raccoons to snack on during their journey. Cliff picked them up (they made some odd noise) and put them in the box. While all this is going on Cyndi Poe drives by and stops, I tell her what is going on, she gets out to check out the raccoon babies. Cyndi said how much she wishes she could show them to her grandson, and asks what we are going to do with them. I told her Cliff was just going to take them to the river bottoms and let them go.
This is where the story gets good (at least for me). Let me explain.. In case you do not know Cyndi..
1. She is crazy cool
2. She lives in Bogota





Cyndi asked if she could take them with her. She explained that she would show them to her grandson and then take them to her Bogota neighbor RAYMELL TAYLOR who would raise them and then release them.
Cyndi loaded them up and off they went. Oh how I wish the Newton Press Mentor still published the Bogota News. You know that those raccoons would have made the paper!!
This story probably does not mean much to you if you are not from Newton or never read the Bogota News portion of the paper that the Newton Press Mentor used to publish. For me, it was a brush with greatness and made for a very memorable Memorial Day weekend!





7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so sweet.
Did they like the hotdogs?

We went camping (in a camper) once at Ft. Pickens (a campground right off the beach in Pensacola, FL). We left the ice chests (packed with all our lunch meat, hot dogs, bacon, fruit, cheese, Pepsi, etc...) outside of the camper with bungee cords wrapped tightly around each lid. (B/C we heard stories about the raccoons there.) When we got up the next morning, all that was left of our food were the wrappers...except the baby carrots and apples.

Sarah D said...

Tracie, did they take the Pepsi?

That is pretty funny that they left the fuits and veggies. Raccoons are not stupid!

I am not sure if they ate the hot dogs. They were too scared to do anything when they first got into the box. I will try to get an update on them soon.

Anonymous said...

No, they didn't take the Pepsi...but Jenna swears she left an open one half-full on the picnic table before bed...and it was nowhere to be found the next morning.

I'll betcha there was one WILD raccoon running around that night!!!

Colleen said...

Oh, I remember the Bogota News fondly. If I am correct, Raymell's husband was Roscoe....

Perfect place for 2 lost racoon babies to end up!

Sarah D said...

May Roscoe RIP

Hopefully wherever he is he is enjoying some good KY fried!

Amanda M said...

These little racoons are so cute. It is a shame that the Newton paper no longer publishes the Bogota news. It was a delight!

Jamee said...

I use to take the Bogota news portion of the paper to Regional and read it to the other nurses. It always made a great conversation piece.

I know, why doesn't Cindi start up the news again. That would be great.