Sunday, October 26, 2008

It's getting hot in here...

Saturday morning I got up and it was HOT in our house. Very hot. So hot that I needed to step outside to cool off during my process of getting ready.

I looked at the thermostat and Cliff had it set on 75 degrees. I explained to him that many energy efficiency experts recommended that a thermostat be set on a much lower setting to keep heating bills down. I also explained to him that his very pregnant wife recommended that for her (and thus his) personal sanity and comfort the thermostat needed to be set on a much lower setting.

Cliff responded by telling me that I had more body insulation than he did and so he needed it to be warmer in the house. (not a good response)

What temperature do you keep the thermostat set on during the colder months in your house?

Vote in my latest poll. Perhaps Cliff will go with what the majority of readers say.

11 comments:

amberlindemann said...

Our house is set on 64-66 degrees all year long

I like it cold, that's why we have blankets

:)
amber

aczumbahlen said...

It is actually much healthier for all to keep the thermostat lower. You will all sleep better. Just tell Cliff that the warmer it is the easier it is for the germs to breed. With the new baby coming soon, and Jack exposed to enough germs at school every day, I would think he would want everyone to sleep good as well as cut down on germs. There are a couple of reasons you can give him. Some germs breed better in a cooler environment-leave that part out!!

Sara B. said...

Ours is 68-70 degrees in the winter months and 72 in the summer.

I always wondered what other people set their on.

Luke's Folks said...

Well, now I know why our electric bill is sooo high. I like it hot, very hot....I set it on 74 no matter what time of year it is. This is bad in the winter. Chip used to try to set it lower on the sly, but I am too quick for him. He is on an anti-germ phase now, so I won't mention that we are breeding away at those bad boys! Kids have to develop immunity sometime, right?

Anonymous said...

I was just wondering if Cliff can actaully walk today...after he made that comment. Or did you break his legs?

I'm just sayin.

Miss Ashley said...

Sarah,
Let Cliff know I am in Alaska, and it was bout -16 this morning and I only have my thermostat at 72.

Browningblog said...

Hey Sarah, I do the Keep Warm Illinois workshops in our area and we recommend no higher than 68 degrees in the winter and no lower than 72 in the summer. I held the guys to 76 in our house all summer and it was fine, and we saved over $100 on our August electric bill. We are trying 66 right now, but it will probably go to 68.

joanna m said...

We usually keep it on 65or 66 degrees in the winter.

When family comes over, they don't stay long because it is to cold in here for them in the winter.(you should try it sometime) No I am kidding, but we like it very cool in the winter and propane isn't cheap.

72 in the summer.

Kate said...

I like Joanna's idea of keeping it cool . . .I might have to use that at my next family event!

We keep ours on 68-ish in the winter and 72 in the summer, though Mike's been known to turn it WAY down in both cases.

jodi said...

I guess we are with the majority - our house is 68 in the winter & around 74 in the summer. And if Cliff makes another comment to you like that just tell him....extra layers are good for shade in the summer and heat in the winter! LOL

Betsy R said...

Our house is set on 65 during the winter. Sometimes when it gets really cold Josh will convince me to turn it to 68, but that is usually it.