Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Hard questions, even harder answers


A couple weeks ago I picked Jack up at school and he informed me that they say the Pledge of Allegiance at school. Jack already knew the pledge. He says the pledge at church on Sunday mornings to the American Flag, Christian Flag, and to the Bible.
Jack wanted to know why they did not say the pledge to the Christian Flag along with the Amercian flag at school.
I never thought I would have to try to explain the separation between church and state to a three year old. I tried, I am not sure if he got it.


Yesterday on the way home from school Jack noticed the signs attached to the electric poles along the street with the names of the Jasper County residents in the Armed Services. He also noticed the yellow ribbons on the poles and asked what they were for.
He was not satisfied with me singing a version of Tony Orlando and Dawn's "Tie a Yellow Ribbon Round the Old Oak Tree" so, I had to talk to him about soldiers fighting in wars. I tried to relate it to his first cousin David who is in the Army and just went back to Iraq.
Jack was pretty sure that I did not know what I was talking about.
At least he did not ask me where baby's come from.
~~
I gotta add this one...
This afternoon Jack woke up from his nap crawled up in my lap and said in his sleepy little voice "Mom, what would happen if you rolled over a bullet?"

No comments: