Monday, February 4, 2008

Vote!



“The life of a tall, gangly, self-made Springfield lawyer tells us that a different future is possible. He tells us that there is power in words. He tells us that there is power in conviction. That beneath all the differences of race and region, faith and station, we are one people. He tells us that there is power in hope.”

Barack Obama


On this the eve of Super Tuesday I am excited. Excited that tomorrow I will vote for a man that inspires me, a man that encouraged us to be audacious enough to hope.



Tomorrow's election, while exciting that I finally will get to cast my vote for Senator Obama, is somewhat bittersweet for me. Since I have been able to vote in Jasper County, I have always walked into my polling place feeling somewhat special and entitled (I probably should not have felt that way, but I did), for you see, I am the County Clerk's daughter. My father has been the Jasper County Clerk for the past 22 years and this will be his last election. My Dad has decided to retire from public office.
----------
Even if I did not tell him or show him, words cannot express how proud I am of him and the work he has done for the County of Jasper. I would guess that much more than the majority of people will never know all of the wonderful things that he has done for our county.
-----------
Tomorrow I will go to St. Thomas to vote. It will be nice to see Valena and Ronnie. Hopefully Mr. Thompson will be there as well-I love it when I get to see him. But tomorrow will be hard, for it will be the last day I walk into my polling place as the County Clerk's daughter.

3 comments:

Amanda M said...

Congratulations Diel family for you father has done many wonderful things for Jasper county! What a privledge it must be to be the child of such an inspiring figure!

hncfarley said...

Lets not kid ourselves, JUST being county clerk does not make Ray Diel special. It is his friendly and caring personality and his obvious love for family, county, country, and christ that sets him apart from many other men. And on a lighter note, enduring being the father of three very intriguing young women! Congrats to Ray on a successful career.

Sarah, Chad and I think you should run for County Clerk, keep the tradition alive!

Also, our voting experience changed with our address, we are now Wade #2 but we did get to chat with Mr. Thompson!

Michelle F said...

I was the very first voter today. Dad was there. I cried on the way out.
On a lighter note, Congrats to the Farley's for moving up to Wade #2. You gotta love Renee Hartigan in a sequined American Flag sweater at 5:55 in the am! I know I made her proud by wearing my "I voted" sticker on my scrubs all day!