Monday, January 14, 2008

Off to school


Jack is not a baby anymore. Since he turned three it was time to explore some options to get him out of the house and spending some time with some other kids-not just his Mother.

My friend Amber Lindemann takes her kids to the Young Explorers pre-school in Olney (I call it the Young Explorers Academy) two days a week and recommended it highly. Jack and I went down to check it out before Christmas and he thought it was pretty great and I thought that everything about the Academy and the teacher Mrs. Schonert was wonderful. I signed Jack up for the only opening she had-Friday mornings from 9-11:00.

Last Friday was his first day. He had told me all week that he did not want to go to school. I almost decided that I would just call the teacher and tell her we were not going to be attending the Academy. Even though Amber's kids RJ and Heidi do not go to the Academy on Fridays, she offered to bring them last Friday so Jack would have some familiar faces. I told Jack we would go to Wal-Mart after school was over and he could get a present if he went to school.

Well, to my surprise, he did it! He went to school and he liked it a lot. He had no problem with me leaving. He was very excited to see me when I came back and I was glad to see him. I was also on a coffee high since Amber and I had went to Ophelia's Cup where I drank at least 5 cups of sticky bun flavored coffee.

Mrs. Schonert said he did great. I was very proud of Jack. We headed to Wal-Mart where he got a guitar and two Barney movies (this is why my parenting book will not be a best seller). I think he earned them! The guitar is very annoying.


Getting ready to go into the Academy.

Jack and his wonderful teacher, Mrs. Schonert.



No comments: