Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Godspeed Iowans

Tomorrow it officially begins with the Iowa Caucus.
We are electing a new President!
I love politics. I will watch the returns from the upcoming primaries like many people watch the Superbowl.
I love voting and everything about the process. I remember being forced by my parents to watch the Democrat Convention on TV when we were little. The summer after I graduated from high school I went with Jenny Jackson to Vandalia to see Bill Clinton at one of his campaign stops. I remember the first time I was able to vote, I was so proud and excited to place my vote for William Jefferson Clinton. I am still happy that I voted for him and I have not missed one opportunity to vote in an election be it big or small ever since.
This year it really is different. I truly believe that this is one of- if not the most important elections of my lifetime. Our country is in trouble. We have dug ourselves into such a deep hole that I wonder if any of the candidates (on either side) will come into office equipped with a shovel big enough to dig us out of the mess we are in. But hope remains. Hope remains that a change is going to come. Tomorrow the first step in that process starts in Iowa. Tomorrow will be the only day that I will wish that I was a resident of Iowa. What an awesome responsibility they have been given. What an awesome responsibility we as Americans have been given.
It is time to clean up the mess.

5 comments:

BB said...

I'm thinking in a few years that maybe Mark Bolander has some competiton. How does Lady Mayoress Kinkade sound???

Sarah D said...

I'm not so sure about that BB!

You can call me Lady Mayoress from now on if you like, I have been shopping around for a new nickname.

Sarah

Sarah D said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rebekah said...

What a great day, The day after The 'Bama victory in Iowa...

I will leave you with one of The current Prez's "greatest quotes" from the whitehouse in Jan 2001....

"There's no such thing as legacies, at least, there is a legacy, but I'll never see it."

Amanda M said...

Well put Sarah. I too am an avid voter if you will. I do not miss a chance to vote. I feel that if you don't vote you have no right to complain about the things you would like changed in our country. It is time for a change and I am also on the Obama Wagon!