Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Sara D's top 10 football moments (so far)

10. Stephen Frichtl pumping his helmet in the air as AC/DC's "Thunderstruck" played over the loudspeaker at the Effingham playoff game last year. Really, everything about that game was pretty awesome. Effingham sucks and I am praying we beat them this year.

I already miss Big Steve


9. The Mt. Vernon game two years ago. We lost and it was awful, but it was still one of the best games I have ever seen. I think this was the game when most of us realized that that team was for real. We were right because a few weeks later we watched them play for the championship in Champaign.

8. ANYTIME Todd Short raises his arms to let the crowd know it is time to get on our feet and make some noise. At the end of the day we all need to remember that "a man called Short will lead them".

7. Arriving at the play-off game in Anna-Jonesboro almost three hours early just to get a seat. That was a fun game and the cheerleaders did a great job. We stopped at Chili's in Mt. Vernon on the way home for a victory dinner. I really like Chili's.

6. Everything about the 2005 season. The town decked out in orange and blue, the poem the Bierman boy wrote, the trip to that horribly cold game in Champaign, holding up little Brooke Koebele so she could hug Alex Koebele after the championship game in Champaign as she cried and he cried and she said "I love you Alex" then I cried.

5. Bill Huth's heart attack on the field after the game at Mahomet. It was awful. So scary. I was so proud of Michelle as she gave Bill CPR. I know it was so hard for her. Watching all of the Newton fans on that football field take a knee and pray for Bill. Luckily Bill survived. I can't wait to take my seat in front of him Friday night.

4. Beating Effingham at Effingham four years ago (I think it was 4 years ago). Watching Jason run out on the field and pick up Coach Bob. Priceless.

3. Gabe getting to running through the paper onto the field for the first time. He could not go nearly as fast as the boys, but they waited for him. Don't we all wish we could run through that paper!

2. Jadean (Mrs. Coach Bob) going into the gas station to buy beer to cook brats for the coaches on our way home from the Pana game last year. She had NEVER bought beer and I offered to go in and get it for her, luckily she wanted to do it herself. It was HILARIOUS watching her try to find the beer and then pick some out. She got her beer and I heard the brats were great.

1. Two years ago at Mt. Zion, Kyle Pittman-#81 in your program #1 in our hearts-intercepted the ball and made a touchdown. Michelle and I were jumping up and down as I peed my pants out of excitement. Jason and Todd were both so thrilled and turned around and pointed to us in the crowd. We felt honored and Michelle deservedly took credit for that TD. She had been telling them for a long time to give the ball to Kyle.

AHH memories. Good times, good times.







4 comments:

Karla K said...

Ahh, the memories. I still almost cry when I think of Alex & Brooke hugging. It was so sweet, yet so sad!

Sarah D said...

I know what you mean Karla. It is hard for me to think about that without tearing up! Good tears though.

Michelle F said...

All great ones! I'm ready for you to do another list. I know there are more....

Debbie Diel said...

Write some more! Go Eagles!