Wednesday, November 5, 2008

It is written


And so it is written. And so it shall be.
I feel like today is a holiday. I'm tired from staying up last night watching the election coverage. My eyes are swollen from crying happy tears. My heart is full with the hope of the change that Obama has told us he can bring.
As I watched last night the enormity of what had just happened hit me. As I saw the people celebrating in Chicago, the people in Africa dancing in the streets, the crowd in Martin Luther King Jr's church in Atlanta celebrating, I realized that not only was this was a moment I would never forget, this was a moment that will change the world.
In the speech he gave the day before his assassination Martin Luther King Jr. said this:
Like anybody, I would like to live a long life. Longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned about that now. I just want to do God's will. And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over. And I've seen the Promised Land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people, will get to the promised land!
Like a modern day Moses, President-Elect Obama has told us he can take us to that Promised Land and we all want to get there. We are ready for him to lead us.
The world is watching.
Please Mr. Obama, we are counting on you. Hope is more than a four letter word.

7 comments:

Jamee said...

I felt hope last night, not only from President Elect Obama, but also from Sen. McCain and again from President Bush this morning.

It consumed me last night when I thought about a bi-racial man, from a broken home, who grew up without a father to become the most powerful person in the world. I don't know about anyone else, but for me he is the American dream. I second Sarah, I hope he delivers and I really think he will.

hncfarley said...

It is great to be part of such a historical time. I do hope he delivers. In the words of Ross Farley...Barrack Obama is a star.

Kocher Family said...

I can not say that I voted for Obama, But I hope he proves me wrong ten time over!

Ashley and Evan said...

I cried my little eyes out last night. When I saw Oprah crying I completely lost it. Like Jamee, I felt so much hope and pride last night. It felt good to be an American. I pray that he can deliver on his promises because this country needs it bad.

aczumbahlen said...

Lovely words Sarah! I took Jordan with me to vote yesterday morning.(She had a neurology appt. in Springfield and didn't go to school.)I was so proud not only because I got to vote, but because of her excitement.That is the 2nd time she has come with me and was equally excited each time.After we left the polling place,her wearing my "I voted" sticker, she was telling me that she couldn't wait to vote as soon as she turned 18. It made me think how lucky we all are,especially as women, to voice our beliefs through our vote.God Bless America!!!

Cheryl said...

Sarah, Just wanted you to know that your blog is what helped to inspire me about Barack Obama. Watching TV last night and seeing the moment that he was said to be the 44th President of the United States....well, I felt everything you said! Very well said, by the way.
Love your blog..keep it up!

Scary Mommy said...

What a beautiful post! It's an amazing day, isn't it-- I still have chills!! I thought I had you blog rolled, but I didn't-- adding you now! :)